CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Surgery

Today Maggie had surgery to have ear tubes put in and her adnoids taken out. We've been really anxious as the day approached so I'm glad to have it out of the way. She is recovering well and is happy to be playing and coloring at home.
Yesterday a special surprise arrived from Uncle Mark. He sent Maggie a stuffed dog that was given to him the first time he checked into the hospital as a young boy. He had ear tubes numerous times as well as a couple of fairly serious ear surgeries and this dog was the one thing that kept him company through it all. He wanted Maggie to have it and also for her to rename him since he's always been "Dog" to Mark. She picked the name Macaroni and keeps telling people today "Remember how Macaroni used to be Uncle Mark's?" It was an incredibly sincere and thoughtful gift and will mean alot to both Maggie and me for a long time to come.

This morning we checked into Children's Hospital at 7:15 and I was really worried Maggie would be complaining of hunger non-stop. She is my snacker. Thankfully she never asked once and even better, the surgeon was running on time so we didn't have to wait too long. She was energetic as we waited in the pre-op room and she loved wearing the Looney Tunes gown with special sock/slippers. She was the perfect patient as nurse after nurse after doctor after doctor came in to ask questions and get vital stats. Jeremy decided he wanted to go back into the OR with her while she was placed under anesthesia. Ummmm, no thank you! I waited in the confines of the room and I'm glad I did because he said it was unbelievably hard to watch. Considering I had choked up on the phone the day before when they gave me her eating instructions, I was really nervous I'd be a mess when they took her out of the room. But since Jeremy went with her, it was much easier for me so I am grateful for that. As she was brought back into the room about an hour and 15 minutes later, she was groggier than I've ever seen her. It was a very tough thing for me to see. She just laid in my lap with no expression holding a popsicle for about 20 minutes. Then she slowly perked up and before you knew it, she was thrilled to be leaving the hospital in the wheelchair.

We are so glad to have the surgery behind us and pray for a speedy recovery. Our hope is that this will alleviate the number of colds and ear infections she gets as well as aid in the recovery of colds she does come down with. Right now it's tough for her to beat a cold and they usually last 4-6 weeks. Another hope is that the surgery will help her with the mild speech delay she's faced. We'll see how she progresses and then decide if another speech evaluation is necessary.

Thank you so much to Mimi & Bumpa who kept us company at the hospital. And a huge thanks to Nana & Bumpa who arrived at our house at 6:45 this morning to stay with Ragen. Not only did they watch him, take him out to buy Maggie a gift but they also finished cleaning up the mess from last night's big party. They did EVERYTHING. Thank you so you all!


Mags snuggling with her baba and Macaroni


Looking excited but not really knowing what's ahead of her



Ready to go in with daddy

Mommy is thrilled to have my baby back in my arms but was a little uncomfortable with how out of it Maggie was (and the blood coming out of her nose!)


Ready to head out after her 3rd popsicle

Ragen was so proud of her and picked out a Dora card for her and some coloring stuff

0 comments: